Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rogue Rolls

On Saturday evening, C-Dub and I went to the third ever Rogue Apron event, Roll Your Own Sushi. (If you haven't been to a Rogue Apron event before, I highly recommend it.) I've never made sushi before due to the daunting task of creating sushi rice so I was looking forward to this event.

After hitting a snag due to the repaving of 75/85, we finally arrived about 30 minutes late. We missed the tutorial but we were able to jump right in and devise our own delicious sushi creations.


The setup, as always, was top notch. Just about any kind of veggie, fish, or fruit (yes, fruit!) was available to make your roll just the way you desired.


And, of course, Lady Rogue did not fail with her homemade infused alcohol creations. This time she concocted five different sakes: strawberry, pineapple, Georgia peaches, keffir lime, and garlic. (Never had garlic infused sake? It stays with you.) My favorite was a tossup between the strawberry and pineapple, both so very good.

Since we arrived late and hungry, C-Dub didn't want to waste any time to chow down and chose to create some quick handrolls.


Later, I made a veggie roll with daikon, carrots, fried tofu which I topped off with some tobiko and black sesame seeds.


For dessert, we had little shots of sake-soaked pineapple with mint.


It was a fun evening and such a change of pace from the last two events since we got to roll up our sleeves as individual chefs. I have to hand it to Chef and Lady Rogue, they really know how to host the ultimate foodie fĂȘte!

The next Rogue Apron event, Smoky and the BBQ, was originally going to be next weekend but has been pushed to a date to be announced in July so as not to conflict with Corndogorama. Wanna go? Sign up now since space is limited. Oh, and don't worry if you are vegan or have any diet restrictions. Lady Rogue is happy to accommodate all hungry appetites!

3 comments:

Glue and Glitter said...

Woa that sounds so fun!!

I make cheating kind of sushi rice at home: short grain rice, water and ricewine vinegar all in the rice cooker. It's not as awesome as at some sushi places, but it works!

rp said...

Dude! Awesome! I wanted to go, but it was a lil spensive...

ETK said...

That looks awesome! I hope I can make it to the next event. Great summary and photos!