Thursday, February 26, 2009

Threading and Henna at Lenox?


While GrabMol and friends are having a very frugal week (that is an understatement!), I just got tricked into spending $6 on a cup of tea at Teavana. I think Grabmol spent less on food in the last 3 days than I did on that stupid drink.
Anyway.... I digress....

While drinking my overpriced beverage at Lenox, I did see that they opened a new store, Da Arches, that specializes in threading, waxing and (so excited!) henna tattoos. It looks like there are other locations around the city, but the Lenox location is across from Crate and Barrel on the lower level (behind Wolf Camera).

I have several friends in NYC that swear by threading. Basically it is a hair removal method that uses a little string to pluck out unwanted hair. Click here if you want to know more about the process. Everyone says that it hurts much less than plucking or waxing and is more precise. I must admit I haven't tried it myself, but have heard great things about the method.

I am excited to try the henna tattoos that they offer. Click here to learn more about henna. Basically it is a plant-based "dye" that is applied to the skin in an intricate pattern that last from 2-3 weeks. Henna tattoos are popular all over the Middle East, Morocco, India, Iran, especially for the wedding ceremony. I love all things Middle Eastern (take that however you want... :) ) so I have always wanted to get a henna tattoo (maybe not as elaborate as the picture above), since I would NEVER get a real tattoo (come on, I'm Yenta Girl!) The prices are really reasonable at Da Arches. I am thinking about going to get one soon, so I will make sure to report back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to comment on threading. I have had my eyebrows threaded numerous times and while it is slightly less painful, I feel that unless the person doing the threading is really paying attention to how your eyebrow should look, they generally have a tendency to making your brows get thinner and thinnner. I have had other friends agree with me on this and have had a professional waxer say the same thing ( though they would since they want the business). Just pay attention to your shape and make sure they only thread far outside the xact line and pluck right along your proper eyebrow line, otherwise your brows will be super skinny in a couple months.