Thursday, January 29, 2009

A foodie's worst fear realized

Food Poisoning.

Yeah, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Over the holidays, I decided to check out one of the newish restaurants to hit Atlanta. I was excited, tried a lot of dishes, and got very, very sick later that night. So sick, in fact, that I didn't leave my bed for several days. It was miserable. (On the bright side, it did give me uninterrupted time to watch all of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in one sitting!)

I should point out that my date also got sick that same night. Which is why I feel positive it was food poisoning from the restaurant.

a picture from the offending restaurant

Almost everyone I talked to asked me if I got in touch with the restaurant to let them know. Some even asked if I contacted the health department. It was my intention to do both but, instead, I did neither. Through the worst of it, I was just too ill to do it. Then, once I was feeling better, there was much to catch up on. Plus, the holidays were over and, with work starting, I let it go. They're all excuses but also somewhat valid, I think.

So I began to wonder what other people have done in similar situations. Have you gotten food poisioning? What did you do about it? Did you contact the restaurant or the health department? What do you think I should have done?

a scene from the happier times that fateful night

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think without a doubt it was the peanut brittle. Probably, the culprit with Salmonella as it's commander. Since there is a recall on peanuts in Georgia and considering how sick you got it may be the case. I wish... hope that you feel better.

GrabMoL said...

Well, this was before the salmonella epidemic - it was back in December - and I also didn't have peanut brittle that night.

But thanks for the well wishes! I do feel better now!

jwsobeck said...

the two times I've had food poisoning, I've never said anything to them. i just don't go back!

mingaling said...

How awful - it really is the worst feeling and there's nothing people can do for you. I spent 2 occasions of food poisoning in the ER, and that's the most miserable I've ever been.

On reporting, I did not on the first event, but the second one was actually reported by the ER attending to me.

Anonymous said...

The salmonella outbreak actually started in September, so it's possible you were sickened by peanut brittle. (They weren't able to trace it back to peanuts until recently.)

Also, foodborne illnesses have an incubation period - sometimes for several days. It might have been caused by this restaurant, but it also might not have been.

GrabMoL said...

I can guarantee it wasn't peanut brittle. I haven't eaten peanut brittle in years on account of the fact that I don't like it. (I'm still not really sure where that came from.)

Anonymous said...

That looks like One Midtown Kitchen to me.

Anonymous said...

Please call them and let them know next time. If they have other calls, they can trace it to the source. Also realize, some types of foodbourne illness incubate for day, so it may have been the salad you had for lunch two days prior, or the leftovers in your own fridge. Also, many viruses and bacteria that are foodbourne can also be surface bourne, so the door handle you touched before you wiped your nose may have been the culprit, not necessarily what you ate.
Chuck

GrabMoL said...

Since my date and I both got sick, I'm pretty sure it was the restaurant. Next time, I'll have someone call for me!

GrabMoL said...

I should also point out that it was NOT at One Midtown Kitchen. Nice guess, though! ;)

Anonymous said...

I've had it twice and like jwsobeck, I didn't contact the restaurants and I never set foot in either of them again. It only takes one time and you've lost my business.

CrashCo said...

I'm still not convinced that it wasn't the peanut brittle...either that or your date slipped you a roofie that was past its "Best if used by" date. Those things don't have a long shelf life like the peanut brittle.

Anonymous said...

Earlier that day your date had peanut brittle you shouldn't have kissed goodnight. Don't do that again!

Cathy said...

I am so sorry to hear that you got sick. Food poisoning is just the worst! I am so surprised that it happened at Craft. I suppose nowhere is really safe. Perhaps you should let the restaurant. I do think Craft actually cares about such things.

On a side note, I would really love to catch up with you again in the new year if you have some time. :) Perhaps we can pop over to Serpa in my neighborhood.